Monday, September 2, 2013

The One Where I Climb Mount Rainier, Part I

I am a Seattle native and so of course it's been staring at me for 34 years.  It has shown me a great many faces, playing a starring role in dazzling sunsets, towering over me as I have worked long hours at jobs both outdoors and in, and anchoring my internal compass as I've driven or ridden my bike across this great Washington landscape.

Over the course of those 34 years, I've had a great many adventures on its slopes.  Almost every single magical fold of its topography holds memories for me - often very deep and meaningful memories.

I remember countless boy scout trips during my youth with friends I still hold dear.  Campouts in every season and in every weather condition you could imagine.  I have slept in a snow cave at Paradise through the bitter depths of a howling January snowstorm (more than once!).  I'll never forget emerging from a snow cave one crystal clear frozen morning and following my curious feet halfway up to Camp Muir before the weather began to turn.  We hadn't told anyone we were going anywhere - we hadn't planned on going anywhere - and we had to face a scoutmaster's wrath when we moseyed back into camp.

I remember taking my girlfriend Heather on a drive around the park early on in our relationship and coming back to visit time and again after we got engaged and as we began to have children.  Sharing this special place with my dear ones is like sharing a piece of my soul.

I remember 10 wonderful days in August of 2010 when I set out with my best friend and three other people to circumnavigate the mountain on the famous Wonderland Trail.  Ninety-three miles of pristine forest and ridgeline hiking that I will never forget.

Many and more are the times I have ventured into the park and forged a new and deeper connection with nature, friends, family, and myself.  I've learned numerous valuable lessons in Mount Rainier National Park, about the importance of preparation, hard work, teamwork, positive attitude, respect, kindness, food, water,  heat, shelter, friendship, moleskin, Advil, toilet paper, ...............

And yet, I'd never made it to the top.  Never even tried.

That was to change this August as my friend Brent started to lay plans for a summit attempt the weekend of August 17th.  Between the two of us we pulled together 7 people: me, Brent, Mike Jacobsen (a veteran of 14 successful summits of Mount Rainier who would serve as our guide), Mike's son Aaron, Aaron's friend Dallyn, and my friends John and Lara.  Although Brent had lived here in Seattle for over 7 years, he moved to Houston, TX a couple of years ago and would be flying up to make the attempt.

I thought you might like to hear about our experience.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

After making a couple of stops to gear up, I picked Brent up from the airport at about 8:30pm.  We made one last stop at REI (I decided I should get some gaiters after all) and then spent a ridiculous amount of money at Fred Meyer getting food and fuel for the trip.  How or why we ever thought we would need that much food, I have no idea.

Not at all excited at Fred Meyer

After destroying Fred Meyer's inventory, we headed back to our place where the plan was to pound down a spaghetti dinner (quickly dispatched), divide up and pack the gear, and then get as much sleep as possible before heading out at 4:00 am.  Things took a while, as these things do, and we were up well past midnight.  Brent and Lara were spending the night at our place.  I don't know when they finally went to sleep - I guess they only got about 2 hours of rest.  I was able to manage 3 hours from about 12:45 - 3:45. . .

Part II here.

1 comment: